Saturday, January 25, 2014

What is success on a hunt?

I recently got out for a ruffed grouse hunt with Olive.  I never mounted my shotgun towards a bird, but still had a successful hunt.  From my perspective, it seems as though there is a lot of focus in hunting circles on shooting limits and trophies.  For me, it's about the experience.  I seldom get a limit and in northern Wisconsin a lot of the waterfowl aren't in their prime plumage during our seasons.  If we, as hunters, only use trophies and limits as our measuring stick for success, then we will be disappointed on a lot of other great hunts.

Many of my hunts include optimistic goals.  For example, on our recent hunt I really wanted to shoot a grouse so Olive could get a retrieve.  However, soaking in a finer point of the experience is what really makes it successful.  We had snow the previous day and the trees all had a coating of snow.  I was blazing a trail with my snowshoes, which always makes me feel like I'm a rugged individualist.

The highlight of my hunt was in the "game" I took home.  I was hunting on a state wildlife area and Olive pointed a folding camp chair.  It wasn't much of a point, but she sniffed it long enough to draw my attention.  The chair appeared to be in good shape and even had a carrying bag left with it.  The snow is at least 16 inches deep and there were no indications that someone was coming back to get it.  I don't know if anyone was planning on getting it, but I also hate litter.  So, I brought it home and can't wait for camping season.  There might not be any meat in the freezer from my hunt, but there is some new furniture in the garage.

The hunt was also successful because we were out for over two hours.  We covered some ground I hadn't seen for a while.  I like going to familiar places throughout the year so I can compare game tracks, trails, water levels, etc. during the various seasons.  One of the bigger reasons I like grouse hunting with Olive is that it tires her out.  Another simple pleasure is the tranquility of a tired puppy in front of the fireplace.



No comments:

Post a Comment