Monday, October 7, 2013

Pass It On

I hate to admit it, but this weekend was the first time I took a kid hunting this year.  It was also my first opportunity, but it seems like the kind of thing I should have done a few times already.  I had the enjoyment of taking a nine-year old boy into the marsh.  The expectations and priorities change when you take a kid hunting.  Cole is an avid hunter and trapper and jumps at the opportunity to go hunting or trapping.  The rise and shine time doesn't affect his enthusiasm. 

He was five the first time I ever took him hunting.  I was a bit apprehensive about getting a kid out of bed at 5AM to go sit in the marsh.  My alarm went off and I muttered a few expletives about how I wish I golfed.  As I began to stumble up the steps, Cole greeted me in his tighty-whities with a big smile and said he was ready to go.  He had heard my alarm and got up on his own.  He normally won't wake up when the dogs are barking at the top of their throats, but he heard the alarm for hunting!

When I go hunting with friends or by myself I hunt fairly hard.  With a kid, the priorities change.  It's important to try and pass on the hunting and conservation ethic to a younger generation.  Preparation changes quite a bit, too.  First and foremost, it's all about the snack pack.  Some sunflower seeds, granola bars, Reeses Pieces, cookies, and a note from Mom does a lot to keep the hunt enjoyable for all. 

Cole can't hunt in Wisconsin until he turns 10, so finding things to keep him interested and entertained are important.  A woodduck call can provide a lot of entertainment for all (when done in moderation), begin his duck calling skills, and with a little luck a wayward duck may bring itself into range out of coincidence.  Of course, should this happen, I'm sure to agree that he called it in.  This year I purchased a jerk rig.  This was also a great way to keep Cole involved in the hunt.  It also freed up my hands for calling and shooting. 

This morning the ducks weren't very friendly and didn't pay us many visits, so there were some long lulls.  After patiently staring at the decoys for a few hours, Cole decided that he needed to build a fort.  We hadn't hunted this spot before and I probably won't hunt it again so there's no need for a fort or blind, but figured we'd be OK with all of this movement.  There was a bit of cover from some tag alders and a tall tamarack, so I wasn't concerned that his movement would spook any ducks that did come near.  He had fun doing it and that's what it's all about. 

I've also learned to set the bar low for our expectations.  Cole is a harvester and likes seeing ducks fall out of the sky, but I set our goal for seeing a duck.  We saw several ducks and geese.  I was lucky enough to shoot a single goose.  Cole was ecstatic because this was the first goose he ever saw shot.  Also, on cue, two minutes after the close of hunting hours about two dozen geese wanted to land where we were set up.  Cole encouraged me to shoot.  This spawned a conversation about laws and ethics.

I've also found it beneficial to talk about the non-game species we see and discuss them.  We had an eagle fly through our spread and watched belted kingfishers dive into the water.  Talking about the non-game species and even other "sidebar" events like sunsets and sunrises help to keep the interest.  It also points out some of the other reasons a person rises at O-dark-thirty to stand in waist deep water.

Taking a kid hunting is always entertaining.  It takes a hunter to make a hunter.  Someone took us out hunting for our first time. 

1 comment:

  1. Great read Tim. I too took 2 new hunters out on saturday morning, a coworker and his 14 year old daughter. Had a blast even though we didnt kill anything. Took some shots, but no feathers. Also took my 17 year old son out on sunday evening. Actually he took me, chose dad over his girlfriend. Killed 2 mallards, he did, and I just got the biggest kick out of him taking and making his own shots. Was a first for him as he called in and killed his first Mallard all by himself. I too try to take "newbies' out every year. In the age a computers and video games and instant satisfaction, hunting teaches patience and value of life. Keep up the good work! Jim Ashbrenner.

    ReplyDelete